20040825

it's hot...finally!

the weather has turned muggy and warm again, after several weeks of cool days. i can't complain, as this has been a very reasonable summer, weatherwise. i am running the a/c full-tilt all day and night, and it only barely stays caught up in the afternoon. i've been cooking, too, and the oven heat is counter-productive on the comfort level, but it's only for a short while. fall will be here soon enough!

tony and i entertained the couples group here last night. it was real nice, although unusual for us without a topic and some directed discussion. everyone seemed relaxed and we agreed to do it again in september. i served them potato chip chicken, which my mother used to make when we were growing up. it was just as good as i remembered. i also made a summery salad with arugula, mache, 3 kinds of tomatoes and basil; cream biscuits; and an apple pie with apple cider sorbet for dessert. they all took seconds and cleaned their plates. i put out a jar of each of my pickles and some jam and they gobbled them up. as a parting gift, everyone got a jar of pickles to take with.

tonight, we are going to our friends' house for dinner. i made tony a carrot cake for his actual birhtday cake. (this is supposed to be the end of his birthday celebrations, but he told me last night that in his mind, it continues on for another couple of weeks. we'll have to see about that!) they are making the rest of the dinner, so it will nice to not have to do any more cooking today! especially given that my freezer is empty and i need to get some stuff cooked up tomorrow so i have meals for work in the coming week.

this blog does seem to be largely about the food i cook and eat, doesn't it? i guess that's not a bad thing. my life is relatively calm and happy these days. thursday is the one year anniversary of my final drive to cleveland, and the day i got the keys to my condo. god knows my life looks NOTHING like i imagined it would from my apartment in chicago. mercifully, it looks alot better than i thought it would! i am very happy with my work; i get on great with all my family here; my parents are getting their house here fixed up and planning their move; and of course i have found tony. this was all meant to turn out in this way--i am certain of it.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com