20041001

skidding in sideways

As far as my feelings for growing old gracefully, this seems to be spot-on…

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO—what a ride!"

It comes to me via Gatsby’s Ghost, and it came to him as a quote posted over someone’s desk at work. While it is a well-known fact that I am highly allergic to ANY type of exercise, this seems to relate more to plastic surgery, botox and the like. I understand that while one day I will NEED to do some sort of aerobic work, I have no intention of succumbing to the lure of false self-preservation.



Last Sunday, I was taken to dinner (the last of my birthday celebrations) by some friends of Tony’s and mine to a nearby Japanese restaurant, Matsu. I had some delicious little skewers of beef, pork and chicken, followed by a lovely, perfectly cooked piece of salmon. The service was excellent and the room, beautiful. We had a great time blabbing and then came back here for ice cream and tea afterwards. My friends were quite sweet, giving me a gift certificate for the movies as a gift…hooray! Tony and I don’t seem to go to the cinema enough, so this is a good excuse.

Dinner at my sister’s last week was a fall meal that I put together here and carried out to Chagrin. (the caterer in me lives on!) I boned and pounded out some chicken breasts, which I then stuffed with sautéed spinach and white stilton with apricots. I deglazed the pan with a little white wine and also served my peach cherry chutney alongside. There was roasted/pureed hubbard and buttercup squash to go with, as well as a salad of baby greens with candied pecans, dried cranberries and blue cheese. For dessert, I made an apple crumble pie with the end of the apples from our trip to the orchard last month. It was a busy day in the kitchen…and well worth it! I even put on a batch of chicken stock with the leftover bones, so now I can make soup next week.

Back to last week, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was pretty lame. There were a couple of good moments, but I left the theater scratching my head, wondering about the lack of plot. It was gorgeous to look at, with all the computer generated backgrounds. I liked the feel and texture of the images. But the character development was not really there, etc. unfortunately, it’s definitely a big screen experience. So rather than recommend that you wait for the dvd, I would say to look for the bargain matinee.

I had my first reiki treatment this past week, as well. It was relaxing and gave me a sense of peace and well-being that continues, days afterwards. It is something I want to pursue. Ostensibly, I went to this first one as a way to begin healing my knee, which has been bothering me a bit at work. The jury is still out on the longterm effects on that problem. The aura of calm that the session brought to me is the part that was most appealing…the part that I want to experience again.

Now that both of our birthdays are finished, Tony and I are starting to think about how to celebrate our anniversary. It’s hard to believe that we will have known each other a year on the 30th of this month. In some ways, it feels like I have known him for YEARS…and in others, the feeling is new every day…like we are falling in love all over again. Whatever we do to mark the day, I can be certain of one thing: this is the man I was meant to spend the rest of my life next to. If nothing else, we will probably have coffee at Truffles, since that was the point of our first meeting. Hopefully, the same table will be free and I can find him sitting in the same spot. It is a wonderful memory that I would like to relive.


|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com